Friday, February 4, 2011

Winter Music

I know Winter's on the outs.
I had planned to do one of these probably in late December, but I didn't.

Just like Autumn, though, Winter brings with it a certain mood that - for whatever reason - makes certain music seem more desirable. Sometimes, it's just because I happened to buy or receive an album in the season in question, and it's some kind of internal and mechanical nostalgia that my brain wants to hear the same music it heard around the same time last year (things get cramped as I buy more music, but it all works out in the end).

I had a tough time with this, because I wanted to do a better job of distinguishing between albums I just happen to want to listen to in the winter vs. albums which actually share some kind of thematic feeling with the season - where I would be showcasing the latter here.
Likewise, it's a little difficult to pick just one album by a particular artist, given that some artists just happen to write a lot of music that sounds wintry to me. I'll probably mention a few alternates here anyway.

For some reason, Winter seems to my mind to be a season of electonics. Electronic music, fused with organic sounds like orchestras and choirs, glockenspiels... that sort of thing. You'll see.


Bjork - Vespertine
Bjork is one of those artists who has a few wintry albums. She explains that she had wanted to capture some of the essence of her native Iceland, using organic sounds as percussion, but programming it digitally. The result on the album she was talking about - Homogenic - and to a much greater extent on Vespertine is music that conjures images of trudging through deep snow or soaring over mountainous icecaps and glaciers. While Homogenic seems to clumsily try to execute that fusion of organic with electronic by nailing it to the back of popsongs - Vespertine eschews the throwbacks to film music, jazz standards, and angry-girl music in favour of structured, but free songs about making love.
Yep. Pretty much every song on the album is, in some way about making love - sometimes a little more explicitly than I'm comfortable with. That said, there's something pretty wintry about fucking. As a child born in August, it's no surprise to me that in the cold of winter, people try to warm up by getting close to eachother... in a sexual sort of way.

Here's one of the more illustrative tracks from Vespertine: "Hidden Place"
Also check out: Pagan Poetry, Aurora, Unison



Radiohead - OK Computer
I wanted to feature Kid A instead, because it's my favourite, but it's not exactly the right choice. Kid A is a dark sort of album, and evokes the feelings of winter you might have while driving through grey slush in a salt-crusted car. That's not exactly what I'm going for here.
On the other hand, its predecessor OK computer is a more lush and atmospheric sort of album that - while still making me think of driving in a salt-encrusted car - makes me think of a brighter snowier time. Perhaps it would be accurate to say that OK Computer is the bright sunny winter day to Kid A's dark, damp winter's night.
On Kid A, singer Thom Yorke's voice haunts the listener, while on OK Computer, it simply soars.

Here's my favourite track from OK Computer, "Subterranean Homesick Alien"
Also check out No Surprises, Airbag, Let Down, The Tourist



BT - This Binary Universe
I want to emphasize just how much I love this album. I discovered it by chance on the last.fm radio service. I had been familiar with Brian Transeau's work as a dance music producer of some renown. I'd heard some remixes. It didn't blow my top.
This album did. This album is not dance music.
For This Binary Universe, BT took elements of film music, orchestral music, and meshed it with glitch music, jazz, breakbeat, ambient, acoustic guitars, soft pianos... a bunch of stuff. As I've mentioned, it perfectly combines electronics and organics in some of the most beautiful and compelling ways. Some tracks are more wintry than others, but overall, the whole album gives one the sense of flying in the night sky and looking down on snow-covered landscapes around the world. The CD even comes with an addition DVD with a 5.1 surround mix and each song gets its own short film to accompany it. It's really something.

Here's one of my favourites from this album: 'Good Morning Kaia' - written for his daughter.
Also try The Internal Locus and The Antikythera Mechanism.



Hybrid - Wide Angle
Few people have heard of Hybrid, for some reason. A friend (who has now gone on to do some pretty decent music himself) introduced me to them ages ago. Once again, they are primarily electronic music producers, but as the name suggests, they create a hybrid of orchestral music and 'nu-skool breaks' as they're known, that provides something lush, beautiful, and often very driving.
On Wide Angle, Hybrid gives their first and, in my opinion, their best example of a winter album and also just a beautiful fusion of orchestral with breakbeat. Much of the cohesiveness of the album relies on the amazing vocal work of frequent David Lynch collaborator Julee Cruise. She's on a number of tracks on the album.
Part of what makes me think of winter with this album is the combination of those string sections with the beats (I'm trying not to repeat myself), in that I imagine myself doing what I've done a number of times while listening to this album: walking through the snow down main street in my home town at a fast pace in order to get where I'm going as fast as possible. The energy of the music makes the briskness of the weather something refreshing and energizing rather than oppressive.

Here's my favourite track from the album, and also one of my favourite songs: "If I Survive" featuring Julee Cruise on vocals.
Also try Dreaming your Dreams, Sniper, and Finished Symphony.



Nine Inch Nails - Still
It's not exactly an official album. Still was released as a bonus disc for the 2001 live album And All That Could Have Been. It only has a limited amount of new material on it, but in many ways, it bridges a gap between the last official album The Fragile, and its live album. Now, most fans have an understanding that Trent Reznor was in a very bad state by the end of recording The Fragile, and was near death due to his addictions to alcohol and drugs by the end of the following tour.
Still is an album that takes some older songs and re-imagines them in a stripped down way, with Reznor on piano a drum machine, and the occasional atmospheric or guitar part.
However, that stuff, while interesting, soft, and introspective isn't really the centrepiece (nor the wintriest part) of the album. The rest of the music is primarily made up of instrumental outtakes from The Fragile, and unused pieces of music meant for Mark Romanek's film One Hour Photo (which ended up using music by Johnny Klimek, who scored Run Lola Run).
Two key tracks from the album which are both very wintry to me are the new vocal song "And All That Could Have Been", (whose lyrics evoke images of snow, ice in order to reflect a love gone cold), and the closing instrumental track "Leaving Hope" whose instrumentation and melody bring to mind the darker side of winter. The isolation, the melancholy, the cold...

Here is Leaving Hope.
Also listen to Adrift and At Peace, Gone Still, and And All that Could Have Been.



Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
I actually tend to associate Goldfrapp's other albums with winter, more because that is when I bought them and listened to them until I got sick of them. On the other hand, the album Felt Mountain is a different sort of animal than her other albums. This album has been described as a cross between James Bond Themes and UFO movie soundtracks. I don't disagree.
The beautiful string arrangements, oddly sexual and sometimes sinister lyrics and delivery, the subdued, jazzy rhythms. It's very Bond... but then there's something altogether weird and sci-fi about it too.
Now, what makes it wintry? Again, this album is a night-time sort of album (or at least, a very early morning sort of album). But rather than the harshness of winter, the album evokes the warmer moments, sitting by a fire and looking out at snowflakes illuminated by streetlights... poofy stuff like that. Of course, I have to add that the combination of electronics with an organic sort of sound is very much what makes me think of winter when I hear it.

Here's a favourite of mine from the album: "Pilots"
Also try Lovely Head, Paper Bag, Human, and Utopia (the whole album, really).



Rush - Power Windows
Power Windows comes from a strange, transitory time in Rush's career. While they had previously cut a niche for themselves as philosophically charged, masterful prog-rockers, their early 80s album Signals saw them drop the extended rock numbers in favour of synthesizer driven rock songs in a more new-wave style.
Power Windows came in 1985, the third of these albums laden with synthesizer. And, while I had initially been put out by the transition to synth-rock, as soon as I heard the opener "The Big Money" I had to rethink things.
It's a punch in the face. It's a snow-plow of awesome, charging through a snow-bank and revealing the best band ever, playing behind it.
Okay, that was a little silly.
But, something about the cold tone of the synthesizers coupled with Alex Lifeson's reverbed guitar makes me think of ice and snow. To me, it's as though the drab winter slush of the previous album Grace Under Pressure is being buried in fluffy snow, and the band has come out to play.

Whatever. Just listen to this: "The Big Money"
Also try Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, and Territories.


(try to ignore how ridiculous and 80s they look).

Sigur Ros - ( )
Technically, every Sigur Ros album sounds pretty wintry. They come from Iceland, like Bjork, and they also employ a combination of electronics (less so than Bjork) with strings and ethereal atmospheres. The album ( ) is unique in that none of its songs have official titles, and the album itself is named with a pair of parentheses. The liner notes are empty, and you're encouraged to write your own. The lyrics are a nonsensical made-up language called 'Vonlenska' (which translates loosely to 'Hopelandish' - a combination between hope, icelanic, and english).
There is a duality to the album, in that the first four tracks are more uplifting, and the latter four are much darker and melancholy.
The album is very wintry, with the album art showing images of what appear to be dead, leafless tree branches, the sound of feet trudging through snow, the ethereal drone of bowed guitar, Jonsi's soaring and drifting falsetto...
It's all very beautiful.

Even the music video for the first track (unofficially known as "Vaka") has winter imagery, with a bit of an ironic twist.
Also check out Track 3, Track 6 and Track 8.



M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
This album was a bit hard to choose, because I know that apart from Saturdays = Youth, an album which I included in my Autumn Music post, most M83 albums are very wintry.
They create a wall of electronic sound, burying ethereal and dreamy vocals underneath layers of drum and keyboard. The french duo create soundscapes that make one think of a cold winter city at night. Snow sparkling under street lights while cars speed by. Like others on this list, Before the Dawn Heals Us is a reflection of the darker, sadder side of winter. Its choirs and long sad ambient pieces tend to echo the emotions of the person who feels isolated and cold in winter.
I remember, one of the first times I heard the album, I was on a bus packed with strangers and carrying a heavy suitcase, and moments of the album nearly brought me to tears.

Here's one of the better tracks: "Don't Save us From the Flames"
Also try Teen Angst, Farewell/Goodbye, Safe




Well... that was a lot of music.
Enjoy.

1 comment: